Colorado Boater Safety Course & Exam Overview
For those under 16 years of age:
This online boating safety course is approved by the Colorado Department of Natural Resources Division of Parks & Outdoor Recreation as a study tool for those persons required to take a proctored exam in a classroom setting (14-15 years of age to operate a motorboat). Successfully completing this exam will prepare you to obtain the Colorado Boating License.
If you are under 16 years of age, you can use the course and exam as a study tool but you are not able to operate a motorboat or take the proctored exam until you are at least 14 years old.
If you are 16 years of age or older, please click here!
Step 1. Study the Colorado Boating Safety Course Online
- Cost: Free
- Over 150 narrated and animated safe boating videos
- Includes 40 interactive boating safety exercises
- Take practice boating safety quizzes to prepare for the exam
- Covers 100% of the Colorado Boating Safety Exam material
Step 2. Take the Colorado Boating Safety Test
- Cost: FREE
- 60 multiple-choice visual exam questions
- 80% required to pass (48 correct answers)
- Graded immediately, review your wrong answers!
- Prepares you for the proctored classroom exam
Step 3. Get your Colorado Boating License
- To receive your official Colorado Boating Safety Certificate, you must take a proctored exam in a classroom setting.
- For a list of classroom courses, please visit: www.parks.state.co.us
- To book your proctored exam, please call (303) 791-1954 ext. 127 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado Boating License or Boating Safety Certificate... is there a difference?
The boating safety certificate is proof that you have successfully completed a boating safety course. The certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed. Therefore, it is NOT a Colorado Boating License!