Tennessee Boater Safety Course & Exam Overview
For those persons born after January 1, 1989, please view the information page.
In the state of Tennessee, those persons born after January 1st, 1989 must take a proctored exam to obtain their Tennessee Boater Education card. These students are welcome to use BOATERexam’s Free Tennessee Study Guide to help prepare them for the proctored exam.
To book your final exam, visit the TWRA website at www.tn.gov/twra/boated.html.
For those persons born on or before January 1, 1989
You can complete your boating safety course and obtain your Tennessee Boating Safety Education ID Card in three easy steps!
This online boating safety course is approved by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
If you are born on or before January 1, 1989, you are not required to take a proctored exam in a classroom, but completing this online course and obtaining your Tennessee Boater Education Card may make you eligible for a discount on your marine insurance and will help make our waterways safer and more enjoyable.
1.One-time payment — unlimited free retries
Start the Course
- Pay the one-time fee of $29.95
- Free unlimited retries of the final exam
2. Study the Online Boating Safety Course
- Learn with hundreds of narrated animations
- Test your knowledge with quizzes after each chapter
- 60 multiple-choice visual exam questions
- 80% required to pass (48 correct answers)
3. Get your Tennessee Boater Education Card
- Print a temporary certificate immediately after passing
- Receive your permanent card in the mail within 3-5 weeks
Tennessee Boating License or Boater Education Card... Is there a difference?
The boater education card is proof that you have successfully completed a boating safety course. The boater education card does not expire and does not need to be renewed. Therefore, it is NOT a Tennessee Boating License!