Boating Accident Reports
If you've been in a boating accident, there's a good chance you'll be required to file a report with local law enforcement. This is a requirement under Federal Law, and not filing a required report can result in serious fines, or even jail time!
When Is a Boating Accident Report Required?
Examples of when you'll need to file an accident report include accidents that involve:
- Missing persons,
- Injuries requiring treatment, and/or
- Property damage.
What Are You Required to Do by Law
If you are involved in an accident, you're required by law to do the following:
- Stop; Identify yourself and your boat;
- Provide assistance, if possible;
- Take down all pertinent information, including the date, time and conditions; and
- File an accident report with the local authorities.