Take your VIRGINIA
Boater Exam® Online
Who needs to take the Virginia boater safety course?
All PWC operators age 14 and older and all motorboat operators regardless of age need to take the boating safety course. BOATERexam.com® is a delegated provider for the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources.
Approved by the
Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources
Good for life!
Get your official
Virginia Boating License
Get your Virginia Boater Card in
3 Easy Steps
Take your Boater Exam® and be certified for life!
Study the Course
Watch, listen and learn
Pass the Quizzes
Retries are always free
Print your card
Go boating right away!
Over 2,000,000 boating students certified and counting:
BOATERexam.com has a TrustPilot rating of 4.7 out of 5 based on 17707 ratings and reviews.
Virginia Boater Safety Course
For a personal watercraft (PWC), the minimum operator age is 14 and operators must complete and pass a boating safety course before they can operate. For a motorboat, there is no minimum operator age and there is no minimum age requirement to attend a NASBLA-approved boating safety course. Youngsters can operate a boat under direct supervision of a person who meets the boating safety education requirement.
Boating Age Requirements
- No person aged 13 or younger may operate a PWC.
- PWC operators who are 14 and 15 years of age must have proof of successful completion of an approved boater safety course that is approved by the National Association of Safe Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).
Personal Watercraft (PWC) Age Requirements
- As of July 1, 2012, all personal watercraft operators, regardless of age, must have proof of successful completion of an approved boating safety course in order to operate a PWC
- PWC operators who are 14 and 15 years old must have proof of successful completion of a NASBLA-approved boater safety course
- No person 13 years of age or younger may operate a PWC
Study on Any Device
From laptop to mobile phone to tablet, choose when and where to take your boating course and get your Virginia Boating Card.
Visual Exam Questions
Visual Exam Questions Help You Learn
We found out a long time ago that people learn best when they can see what they're learning. Shouldn't you be tested the same way? Every one of our exam questions is illustrated to help you get your boating licence.
Hundreds of Engaging Videos
Our Virginia boating license course features hundreds of rich engaging boating videos and animations. That means you aren't just reading: You're watching, listening and learning.
Returning user? Log in here
Virginia Approved, Trusted Nationwide
BOATERexam.com® is trusted by agencies across the United States to deliver the best of quality in boating safety education. Our courses consistently receive the highest level of approval from agencies and from boaters.
This official Virginia boating safety course is approved by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources.
Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources
7870 Villa Park Drive, PO Box 90778
Henrico, VA 23228
A Wavve Of Savings
Start Your Free 2-Week Trial
Wavve Boating provides easy to use GPS navigation, customizable nautical maps, social connectivity and more. Get the iOS or Android app today!Start My Trial
Virginia Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some common questions about safe boating rules & regulations.
How much does the boat safety course cost?
What payment methods are accepted?
What is the "Certificate of Completion"?
What is the Virginia Boating Safety Education Certificate?
I do not have a driver's license. Can I still get the Virginia boater license?
How can I get my Virginia boating license?
You can obtain your Virginia Boating Safety Education Certificate in 3 easy steps:
- Pay the one-time fee of $34.95 – free unlimited retries of chapter quizzes
- Study the Virginia Boating Safety Course, and pass the end-of-chapter quizzes
- Print your Certificate of Completion, and receive your permanent Virginia Boating Safety Education Certificate in the mail within 3-4 weeks
How long is the boat safety course and boater license good for?
Is anyone exempt from obtaining the Virginia boating license?
Is there a time limit to complete the online course?
Is there a final exam?
What do I need to pass the online Virginia Boater Safety Course?
Visiting another state? See all
Need Help? Visit the BOATERexam.com® Help Center
The BOATERexam.com® Help Center is the place to find answers and solutions to your questions.
We've helped over 2 million people get certified online. So, we know what it takes.